Zig Zigler, a personal motivation coach, died recently.
Zig encouraged others to believe in themselves because he was simply provoked by his boss in his early days after a dreadful sales meeting. In his advice, he pushed Zig with, “…believe in yourself, work on learning more, doing better and helping other people.”
After turning his perspective around and discovering good books and good people unlocked potential, Zig encouraged others through countless training seminars. As a motivational speaker and trainer, Zig’s personal key was belief. I believe the keystone to Zig’s philosophy are found in his words,
“When you encourage others, you in the process are encouraged because you’re making a commitment and difference in that person’s life. Encouragement really does make a difference.”
“Help other people do the right thing, tutor them if it’s possible and practical, but always encourage them. Encouragement is the fuel on which hope thrives.”
As a student of life, learning, and growing, here are words of wisdom from Zig that you might find inspirational and I’ve added a personal interpretation for each.
Top Ten Life Changing Quotes by Zig
1. “A goal properly set is halfway reached.”
Knowing what you want sets everything motion.
2. “If you can dream it, you can achieve it.”
You can have (or have not) anything you want. Dream big!
3. “People often say motivation doesn’t last. Neither does bathing—that’s why we recommend it daily.”
For me self-esteem builds motivation. What ever it takes, get into a routine that builds your self-esteem.
4. “You will get all you want in life, if you help enough other people get what they want.”
Focus your assistance with the help that you give in an area that you know -this empowers both of you.
5. “Remember that failure is an event, not a person.”
Don’t take failure personally, it’s an opportunity to learn.
6. “There has never been a statue erected to honor a critic.”
Instead of undermining and tearing down others, go back to your shop and build.
7. “Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.”
You’ll have a better experience when you prepare for the worst. When your fears (and consequences) are permanently outlined on paper, you’ll know that those issues will be cared for later.
8. “If you go looking for a friend, you’re going to find they’re scarce. If you go out to be a friend, you’ll find them everywhere.”
Additionally, don’t expect people to immediately reciprocate as a friend -they have their own fear of reaching out.
9. “Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude.”
Book smarts vs street smarts can paralyze you unless you start now, regardless of either.
10. “People don’t buy for logical reasons. They buy for emotional reasons.”
This is my favorite and I use it as part of my secret formula: Function first (the logic) and then form (emotional reaction).
Erin Casey of Success.com wrote an article on Zig that reinforces the points above. So, if you want to gain a deeper level of Zig’s personal life, it’s a great starting point.
Even if you don’t believe you have anybody in your corner pushing you or encouraging you, remember, you have yourself. You are your own champion. As your own champion, you can coach yourself into a corner or coach yourself out in front emblazoned with your passion.
See you at the top!
Here’s to Cultivating Your Creative Independence